Latest update from Beirut explosions (clips and images)

Two large explosions rocked Beirut harbour on Tuesday afternoon. The explosions killed at least 70 civilians and injured more than 3,000 people as glass shattered and balconies collapsed from the impact. The explosions were seen from the coast of Cyprus, some 207 km away, and heard inland in the capital, Nicosia.

By Arthur Blok
Officials expected the death toll to rise sharply as emergency workers dug through rubble across a swathe of the city to rescue people and remove the dead. It was the most powerful blast to hit Beirut in years, making the ground tremble.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab vowed Tuesday that those responsible for two massive blasts in Beirut's port, which killed at least 70 people and injured thousands, would be held to account. "What happened today will not pass without accountability. Those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price," Diab said in a televised address. Diab also appealed for international assistance to help Lebanon, which is already mired in its worst economic crisis in decades.

Multiple videos from the area showed a plume of smoke rising near the coastline, followed by a large blast and a shock wave. Buildings throughout the area were damaged in the blast, including media offices and Lebanon’s electrical company.

Video and pictures from the scene showed windows blown out and debris strewn in buildings and streets throughout Lebanon’s capital. Some buildings in the area collapsed, and emergency forces rushed to rescue those trapped in the rubble. Electrical outages were reported throughout the capital, hampering search and rescue efforts.

The cause of the explosions was not immediately known, but a top official, General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim, said confiscated explosive materials had been stored at the city's port. "It appears that there is a warehouse containing material that was confiscated years ago, and it appears that it was highly explosive material," he said.

An Israeli government official who requested anonymity denied that Israel had anything to do with the incident."

 

Arthur Blok

Veteran journalist, author, moderator and entrepreneur. The man with the unapologetic opinion who is always ready to help you understand and simplify the most complex (global) matters. Just ask.
See full bio >
The Liberum runs on your donation. Fight with us for a free society.
Donation Form (#6)

More articles you might like

We couldn’t wait to leave… now we’d give anything to go back

Seventeen years ago, we walked out of school convinced that life was finally about to […]
- by The Liberum on 15/05/2026

Energy scarcity & Islamisation, two horror scenarios for the Netherlands: Are we transforming into a Lebanon on the North Sea?

Dutch politicians persist in ignoring science. While the United Nations (UN) gloomy climate scenarios are […]
- by Arthur Blok on 13/05/2026

The meeting Hezbollah feared: When Aoun and Netanyahu turn the impossible into diplomacy

The Middle East is often transformed less by treaties than by thresholds. Some moments alter […]

The gospel of the open wound

A good friend gave me Al-Shouq wal-Qaranful (Thorns and Carnations, written by Yahya Sinwar), just […]

Tommy Robinson & Thierry Baudet: FvD – Zionism or not after all?

The photo that Thierry Baudet, founder of FvD (Forum for Democracy, a large Dutch political […]
- by Adriana Lebbos on 06/05/2026

My Name is Agneta

There are films that tell a story, and then there are films that undo you […]