Lebanon's acting PM Diab accused of causing Beirut blast

Lebanon’s investigating judge has charged caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab and three former ministers with negligence over the Beirut port blast that killed 200 people and ruined a swathe of the capital in August.

The others are former finance minister Ali Hassan Khalil, as well as former public works ministers Ghazi Zeaiter and Youssef Finianos, state news agency NNA said on Thursday.

Zeaiter told Reuters he would make a statement once he was officially informed of the charges. He headed the public works and transport ministry in 2014, shortly after the arrival of the Rhosus ship carrying a huge stockpile of ammonium nitrate which detonated at the port.

Officials have said the cargo of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive chemical, was stored unsafely for years at the port, which lies in heart of the city.

Diab’s office, Finianos and Khalil, who is a senior aide to Lebanon’s influential Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Four months after one of the largest non-nuclear explosions on record, which injured thousands of people, victims are still waiting for the results of an investigation their leaders had promised would come within days of the Aug. 4 port blast.

The judge leading the official inquiry, Fadi Sawan, sent a letter last month asking parliament to probe 10 former ministers.

Soure: Reuters

 

The Liberum

Vox Populi, Vox Dei
See full bio >
The Liberum runs on your donation. Fight with us for a free society.
Donation Form (#6)

More articles you might like

- by Roula Kmeid on 31/03/2025

Your NET WORK is your NET WORTH

What if I told you that while education, experience, and skills are crucial, the hidden […]

The regional implications of the ethnic cleansing against the Alawites in Syria

Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham and its allies shocked the world by overthrowing the Syrian regime in […]

Work-out is not working out for me: A tragicomedy in three acts   

I have always hated the gym. Not in a casual, “Oh, I don’t feel like […]

Rushdie attacker Hadi Matar found guilty of attempted murder

In a knife attack in the French city of Mulhouse in late February, one person […]

The enigmatic demise of Iran’s proxy empire

When a progressively secular nation that once bore the seeds of Persian history and culture […]

Tens of thousands join mass funeral in Beirut for slain Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah

Tens of thousands of people gathered in Beirut Sunday morning to attend the funeral of […]