Latest update from Beirut explosions (clips and images)

Two large explosion rocked Beirut harbour Tuesday afternoon. The explosions killed at least 70 civilians and injured more than 3,000 people as glass shattered and balconies collapsed from the impact. The explosions were seen from the coast of Cyprus, some 207kms away, and heard inland from the capital Nicosia.

By Arthur Blok
Officials expected the death toll to rise sharply as emergency workers dug through rubble across a swathe of the city to rescue people and remove the dead. It was the most powerful blast to hit Beirut in years, making the ground tremble.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab vowed Tuesday that those responsible for two massive blasts in Beirut's port, which killed at least 70 people and injured thousands, would be held to account. "What happened today will not pass without accountability. Those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price," Diab said in a televised address. Diab also appealed for international assistance to help Lebanon, which is already mired in its worst economic crisis in decades.

Multiple videos from the area showed a plume of smoke rising near the coastline and then a large blast and shock wave. Buildings throughout the area were damaged in the blast, including media offices and Lebanon’s electrical company.

Video and pictures from the scene showed windows blown out and debris strewn in buildings and streets throughout Lebanon’s capital. Some buildings in the area collapsed and emergency forces rushed to rescue those trapped in the rubble. Electrical outages were reported throughout the capital hampering search and rescue efforts.

The cause of the explosions was not immediately known but a top official, General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim, said confiscated explosive materials had been stored at the city's port. "It appears that there is a warehouse containing material that was confiscated years ago, and it appears that it was highly explosive material," he said.

An Israeli government who requested anonymity denied that Israel had nothing to do with the incident."

 

Arthur Blok

Veteran journalist, author, moderator and entrepreneur. The man with the unapologetic opinion who is always ready to help you understand and simplify the most complex (global) matters. Just ask.
See full bio >
The Liberum runs on your donation. Fight with us for a free society.
Donation Form (#6)

More articles you might like

- by Roula Kmeid on 31/03/2025

Your NET WORK is your NET WORTH

What if I told you that while education, experience, and skills are crucial, the hidden […]

The regional implications of the ethnic cleansing against the Alawites in Syria

Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham and its allies shocked the world by overthrowing the Syrian regime in […]

Work-out is not working out for me: A tragicomedy in three acts   

I have always hated the gym. Not in a casual, “Oh, I don’t feel like […]

Rushdie attacker Hadi Matar found guilty of attempted murder

In a knife attack in the French city of Mulhouse in late February, one person […]

Yaha Sinwar: the spectacle and the illusion of struggle

Somewhere in a nearly collapsed room where walls were riddled with cracks and rubble piled […]

The enigmatic demise of Iran’s proxy empire

When a progressively secular nation that once bore the seeds of Persian history and culture […]